NEWS — That smell you may have noticed Wednesday night was the Domtar pulp mill acting up.
The mill released NCG — or non-condensable gas —around 9 p.m. and wind took the smell several kilometres east down the valley. The Armchair Mayor was one of the many who experienced the foul smell, detecting it for several kilometres while driving from the Rivershore area into town.
Kamloops Fire Rescue answered more than 60 calls from Valleyview, Dallas and as far away as Chase. Upon investigation, fire officials confirmed the smell wasn’t from natural gas.
A Domtar official said NCG is usually burned off but last night it was unintentionally released when a backup procedure wasn’t available. The gas is not harmful, a Domtar official said.
In its annual air-quality report released this week, Domtar said complaints about foul smells from the mill have declined in the past couple of years.