PET MEMORIALS is pleased to publish Pet Memorials free of charge. To publish a memorial for your pet, please email the memorial, including the date of birth (if known) and date of death, as well as a photo, to with the subject line Pet Memorials.



2004 – December 31, 2020

Our world got a little sadder on the afternoon of New Year’s Eve as we had to say goodbye to ‘our special little guy’, Cheddar Read as he succumbed to kidney problems.

I first met Cheddy when our family were “SPCA Fosters.” He was a little furface with a lot of energy. Very hyperactive and mischievous and looking for attention.  One day after he shortly arrived with his sister, he was ‘acting up’ by scratching on a door frame.  I picked him up and laid down on the bed with him on my chest and began petting him for about an hour.  That seemed to not only settle his ‘mischievousness’ but also formed a lifelong bond between us.

Cheddar became the ‘friendliest’ cat ever.  He was always welcoming to strangers as well as very ‘needy’ when it came to pets and attention.  Maybe part of the reason was that he knew that after a few minutes, anyone who met him would be ‘around his little paw.’  He would constantly move between people to have them ‘bask in his Cheddyness.’

He was ‘the cat who knew where it’s at.’   Not afraid to come up and sit on your lap.   He would look at you with those big green eyes and unconsciously you would be petting him. He loved to purr and he got you under his spell.

During his youth, there would be a couple of times a day where he would ‘rocket ‘ around the house, his paws going a million miles an hour with his ears back and a determined look on his face.  He loved watching birds and tried to get at them through the window.

Cheddar was very astute.  He would know if you were having a bad day.  During a down time in my life, he was my cuddle buddy and confidant.  You could pet him for 24 hours and he would still want more.  He would be by your side until you felt better and fall asleep beside you.

He considered himself to be a ‘sophisticated cat.’ He always drank from his water bowl using one of his paws, scooping it up to his mouth.  He was also fonder of eating and drinking privately (along with using his doodle box).

Cheddar picked up a number of nicknames during his life: “Orange Menace” (when he was bad),  “Mr. C”,  “C-Note—which he was known on Saturday when in our mind he would invite his furry friends over for parties and gathering where they would listen to ‘kitty music’ and watch ‘kitty movies’.”

The funny thing is, he never left the house unless he ‘escaped.’    “Noteworthy one” and “Cuddle Cat” were two other nick names.

In his later years, Cheddar became our ‘alarm clock.’ He waited outside our door and knew exactly when we had to wake up (always beating the clock).   He would mrow (no meow for this guy).  He would lead us into the bathroom or kitchen where he enjoyed the warmth or knew we would get him his water.

Speaking of warmth, if he weren’t cuddling with us, he would be near a window for the sun, or the heat of the fireplace. There wasn’t a place he wasn’t allowed to go: except for the bed until later in his life when he helped Lenora recoup from a broken ankle.  There were other times where he would stealthily move onto the bed and sit there with a grin on his face (at least it looked like it) waiting to be taken down to the floor .

Cheddar loved baths.  He would sit by the tub and stick his paw in. His last few weeks on earth, Cheddar would climb on my chest and sit to soak up the heat.

Cheddar was spoilt. And he knew it.  He knew we loved him. As his health deteriorated, I agonized over trying to prolong his life with more evasive methods or to let him go. Leading up to that fateful day, I looked into his loving eyes and face and tried to fathom what life will be like without him and if the roles were reversed, what would he do.

Sadly, as I saw he was in pain, we made our way to the vet’s office and I held him.  He looked into my eyes and we both knew that it was time.  He was so frail, so quiet.  He melted in my arms like a baby and let out one little “Mrow” as we approached the office.  As we said goodbye, I held him and kissed him and told him how much he was loved and thanked him for being such a big part of my life and that I would see him again.

Much thanks to the staff at Central Animal Hospital for their care, compassion, and professionalism.  Cheddar leaves behind loving adoptive parents Larry and Lenora along with adopted sisters April and Kayla Read.

The hole he left in our hearts is great but he won’t be forgotten. He may be gone but his spirit lives on when we look at his favorite spots in the house.  Larry and Lenora plan to make an annual donation to the SPCA in Cheddar’s memory.

— Submitted by Larry Read



2004 – Dec. 31, 2020

GOODBYE DASH…. I never thought I would really miss you this much. In fact, the last 9 months working from home with you and helping you stand, and stagger outside, leaving behind what you were supposed to do outside, and watching you sadly stumble around, and yelp, and pant, and look anxious, I knew you were on bonus time.

Dash came into my life 12 yrs ago when his loyal owner and I started dating. Chris’s Mom actually asked me if I was prepared to be behind Dash in priority, and several of my friends who knew of Chris when we got together had mentioned ‘That guy with the dog.’ Many people have dogs, but Chris was not a normal dog owner and Dash was not a normal dog. Chris rescued Dash.. But I believe Dash also rescued Chris.

Dash and Chris ran close to 100kms a week together. Dash and Chris shoveled together, Dash and Chris mowed the lawn together. Dash and Chris traveled together, Dash and Chris were inseparable. In fact the times when Chris would leave Dash, he would make it clear he was unhappy by jumping up on the counter and pulling down thawing out platter of raw chicken and walk away from it while my wiener dog gladly ate everything looking like a snake after eating a rat.

Dash wanted one thing in life — to please Chris. Dash put up with my dog Vincent. I also took Dash running with me, and on play dates with friends dogs, and over time I did not realize that Dash was finding a place in my heart.

After all, Chris had HIS dog, and I had mine. Chris took Dash every year to the Walk in the Park ultra race he directed and they were both a fixture there. Another regular attendee at this race was Diane Mckelvey who also happens to be the most compassionate vet in Kamloops and had the honor of letting Dash go running in his dreams.

Chris appreciates the kind words and thoughts he has received. Dash was 16 in September and was laid to rest on New Years Eve. Vincent is sad now that there isn’t a chance to bully Dash off of his treats. Thank you to another Walk in the Park regular racer Ray Woodley who is rocksbyray on Instagram for a beautiful keepsake for Chris. Long May you Run, Dash.

— Submitted by Tara Holmes



c. 2010 – Adopted June 22, 2020 – Heaven’s Gift, December 18, 2020

We do not know how old Hobo was , nor what his ‘ puppy given’ name may have been. We do not know his original home place or owner.  He was found wandering the backroads – starving and covered with burrs. His tongue thrashed from what? Could not bark – where did his voice go? The excruciating tale of his  un-cared for teeth and health issues needs no further mention.


It is  his recovery that is the great story!!! His journey ultimately took him to  the SPCA and then to  my home to join what became his forever family.

He was adopted into our farm life – with the cats and cattle , promptly re-sculpting numerous garden and dirt areas as  cooling beds for the hot summers of Kamloops. Clearly this was an unusual  transition for a ‘ northern climate ‘ dog!

Dinners made from our beef and garden squash took him from a skinny bald guy ( inset small picture) to a healthy coat and weight. His true personality erupted and soon he was glancing over his shoulder and ‘ booking it ‘ to what appeared to be enticing destinations outside  the yard / pasture—with myself racing behind to halt his progress! Boogie the Bridge had nothing on this race !

We lost him too soon though – because of his teeth and the inability of  a care organization to commit to surgery.

His life as an indoor dog – his deference with the cats ( who rule of course ) – his delight when he met puppies -and his stubborn nature that often erupted – lifted my heart in these  truly difficult times.  I would often hum Neil Youngs’ Southern Man / version: Stubborn Man  We were blessed by him.

The take-away I hope from this memorial: Clean your dog’s teeth ~smile~ and if you do adopt, consider the older ones too — while Hobo’s time with me was shorter than it could have been – he was my ‘ surviving isolation’ hero.

— Submitted by Lee Morris



June 24, 2006 – November 16, 2020

With her family by her side, Orange Kitty slipped peacefully away on Monday, Nov. 16, 2020.

She was an unplanned cat, showing up in our hay shed a dozen years ago. After checking with neighbours and in all the usual places with no success in finding her owners, we decided she might as well move in. She’d already decided the same thing.

A year or so later we accidentally discovered she’d hitched a ride to our place with a load of hay. By mutual agreement with her original family, she continued to reside with us.

Her name at birth was Amelia but to us she was always Orange Kitty, an extremely affectionate and vocal orange kitty who always let us know when it was time for breakfast or dinner and was always up for some quality TV time on any available lap. Even in her last moments, she appreciated a scratch under her chin and on her head.

Orange Kitty liked people, dogs (other cats, not so much), a snuggle and a few Temptations for dessert. She is predeceased by Bradley, Jackson, Square Box, Cheyenne and Jesse, and is survived by Tanner, Barney and her newly acquired best buddy, Reo.

Thank you, Orange Kitty, for choosing us, and for the love and joy you brought us.



June 16, 2009 – June 20, 2020

My dear sweet girl: Yesterday was the worst day ever. You will never know how hard it was for me to make the decision to end your life, but every time you looked at me and begged me to help, it tore me apart. I have had many dogs in my life and I loved them all but for some reason, baby girl, you made the biggest hole in my heart when you left. With Muffy, Harley , Sadie and Kenzie I knew the time was at an end, but, you still had so much life in you. Your last swim at the river, your intense stare at the gophers, your sprint to get the Chinese food guy a couple of days ago and your wagging tail still said,” I have life to live” but your poor lungs said otherwise. You will never know how hard it is for me to walk up our sidewalk and not see your beautiful brown eyes looking out for me. You were the only reason I ever came home at all. When they talk about a broken heart, I now know exactly what that means.

Now I will cherish the wonderful memories we made together. The awesome hikes, the wonderful car rides, the muffins, the friends we made and the bond we shared. Every time I see a gopher I will think of you and how your whole body shook in anticipation of actually a catching one, every time the delivery guy comes I will here your powerful bark telling him, ”we don’t want any, go away.” And then there are the quiet times we spent , curled up together, watching our favorite animal shows and the feel of your soft, silky fur and the sound of your tummy grumbling , because it was always dinner time for you.

Rest in peace my sweet girl, you were loved beyond measure and you returned that love a hundred fold.

In loving memory of Kaylee Belle Formanski, the best Gordon Setter EVER…



April 22, 1985 – May 4, 2020

On a beautiful, sunny Monday morning, we said goodbye to our beloved old boy, Bradley Rothenburger, who only recently celebrated his 35th birthday.


Bradley had a big personality and although he was a bit anti-social he was always gentle and we loved him.

We rode in the Cattle Drives of the ‘90s and spent many a weekend and evening after work riding the hills. He retired years ago and spent his days the way every horse should — grazing, rolling in the dust, wandering about our property, horsing around and running when he wanted to in that distinctive gait of his.

We hoped he could enjoy at least one more summer but the end came unexpectedly though peacefully.

Bradley leaves us with many wonderful memories, and leaves behind his best friend of some 26 years, Tanner. Together, they were fondly known as The Boys.

May all your pastures be green, Braddie Boy, and may you always find a treat in your grain bin at the end of the day. Maybe, if there’s a place where we all get together after this life, you and Edyn will go riding again. We love you and we miss you.



December 12, 2008 – October 3, 2018

Whiskey was brought into the world by a certified breeder in Winnipeg, Manitoba. He had an English Bulldog father and Boxer mother, which resulted in what is known as a Valley Bulldog.

I acquired him when he was eleven months old. I was into a budding relationship with a young lady who, upon our first meeting to go see Whiskey, recalls “ringing the doorbell and seeing a huge head barreling straight towards the door, barking and spitting saliva on the door window.” With an are-you-sure-about-this-look from my future wife, we opened the door to Whiskey for the rest of his life.

                               Beautifully ugly,
                               Face full of folds,
                              A gentle gargoyle
                              With a heart of gold.

No matter where we went: hiking in Kenna Cartwright, swimming at Guerin Creek Waterfall, walking at Mission Flats Nature Park, visiting family in Kamloops and area neighbourhoods, strolling down streets of different towns, he was always a subject of interest and of conversation.

On one summer road trip to the Kootenays, we entered a just-for-fun dog competition and Whiskey won the ‘ugliest’ dog category. When I commissioned an artist to do a portrait of him as a Christmas gift for my spouse, the resulting painting, displayed at a local art show, won the People’s Choice Award. Not only was the artwork of exceptional high quality, but the subject was irresistible!

Despite his large stature and mostly lethargic attitude, Whiskey had explosive energy whenever a certain stick, ball, or frisbee was available. Albeit sometimes stubborn, sometimes irritating, he seemed to instinctively understand the birth of our son as a precious and fragile gift to our family, and he extended tender sniffs, remained quiet during nap times, and exercised patience with this new addition. Although our 15-month-old son may not remember Whiskey, we will remember that our son’s first understandable word was ‘daw’ for dog.

Whiskey passed away suddenly, but peacefully at home, just two months shy of his tenth birthday. His presence was never unnoticed, and neither be will his absence.

— Submitted by Joel Desaulniers, October, 2018



c. 1996 – April 2018

Scully’s exact birth date was not known but she was adopted in the summer of 1997 after a “love at first sight” episode.   It was estimated that she was about one and a half years of age at that time.   An upper respiratory infection made her less adoptable to some, but it didn’t stop me from making a quick decision to give her a home.

For the next 21 years she lived in Knutsford as an indoor kitty with an outdoor  enclosure to keep her safe from the coyotes that in all probability had taken her predecessor Casper.  She was a tiny cat with a big attitude and not terribly fond of the other pet members of the household.

Her special talent was mousing and she discovered if she put her living victims in the bathtub they couldn’t escape, at least until I took pity and did a catch-and-release.

Scully’s preferred method of drinking water was to scoop it up with her paw.  She always had her own room and liked being visited there more than hanging out in the rest of the house, though she did plenty of walkabouts to monitor what was going on.

At age 21 Scully was diagnosed with kidney failure and gradually her small frame became very thin.  In April of 2018 she let me know that the time had come to say goodbye and she was assisted by her vet to end any suffering.

She was a very special little girl who will never be forgotten.  I consider myself very fortunate to have had this kitty in my life for almost all of her 22 years.

— Submitted by Tara Lodzinski, October 2018



February 1, 2005 – March 18, 2017

This is Abby, or Abigail, if she was getting in trouble. We got Abby from the Kamloops SPCA at the end of summer 2005. She was found running loose in Chase, skinny as a rail and full of life. After ten days in the pound and still unclaimed, she was sent to the SPCA after a vet refused to euthanize her. She was too beautiful and too nice of a dog. We never met that vet, but he (or she) was right; Abby was an incredible dog.

I happened to be volunteering at the SPCA at the time and the rest, as they say, is history. We went as a family to play with Abby (her SPCA name was Magpie at the time). She was running around and jumping on us and in the pool constantly.

We put in an application right away, because someone else had expressed interest in adopting her. There’s no doubt in my mind that she chose us that day. I can still feel her licking my hands through the cage and the soft feel of her floppy ears while her tail wagged furiously.

Those first few years were a challenge. She loved stealing food, running all over the place, and had “selective hearing” as we called it. Despite all of this, she was smart as a whip and loyal beyond measure. She ate everything she could get her paws on, including 19 homemade cupcakes, tubs of butter, numerous loaves of bread, garden cucumbers, an entire beef roast, and countless others.

If someone came home from grocery shopping, she’d go straight for the bag of mushrooms and head of iceberg lettuce. The only food she avoided was celery. Everything else was fair game in Abby’s world.

Five years later, two little lab puppies came into our family: Maverick and Goose. Abby initially wanted nothing to do with them, but they quickly became the best of pals. Abby was their Mom and showed them how things were done in the Herman family. Five years after that, in 2015, another lab named Bosley joined our family. Again, Abby wanted nothing to do with him, but all 4 of them quickly became wonderful friends. It was chaos with 4 labs running around. The best kind of chaos.

Abby was very spoiled and very doted upon. She was a queen and treated as such. She even crossed her paws when she laid down. We called her Pig because she would snort when she was most content. Suntanning was her favourite pastime, along with swimming, belly rubs, camping, hiking, chasing trains within the safety of the dog park, and chasing birds. I’m not sure we will ever forget the fact that she caught 3 crows.

When Abby got sick, we knew our time with her was closing in. She got so many McDonald’s Happy Meals that she gained 10 pounds in her last few months. We wanted her to be happy and enjoy her time with us. And on a sunny March day, that time had come.

Thank you to Dr. Lewis and the staff at Central Animal Hospital for the love and care you gave Abby throughout her life. We appreciate your support and guidance through it all.

Maverick, Goose, and Bosley still search for her to this day. She was their Mom and she taught them everything. Camping trips and swimming at Lac le Jeune feel different now, and we make sure to bring her collar with us. She loved camping so much and we know she’s with us in spirit.

We love and miss you so much, baby girl. Enjoy stealing cucumbers from someone’s garden, and swimming and running freely up there. You are the best Black Pig.

“Dogs are great. Bad dogs, if you can really call them that, are perhaps the greatest of them all.”
-John Grogan

— Submitted by Kara Herman, September 2018.



May 14, 1995 – December 22, 2015

Josie Jensen.

Josie was five years old when I got her in 2000.  Her birthday was on Mother’s Day.

She passed away three days before Christmas 2015. She leaves behind a fur sister puppy Bella Marie who will be four years old Dec 9.

One story to reminisce about would have to be when my wife was on the phone and every time that she would talk for several minutes Josie would think she is being ignored and would jump on my wife’s lap and paw her until she hung up the phone and paid attention to her.

The other fur sister Josie had was a 15-year-old tabby that also passed away on June 27, 2009.  Her name was Sarah Dusty.

Bella Marie.

Mrs. J. and Josie.






Sara Dusty.









— Submitted by Martin Jensen, Sept 30, 2018.



December 6, 2004 – August 24, 2018

Our beloved sweet boy lost his battle with cancer on Friday, Aug. 24.

No soul was kinder, gentler, more patient or loving than Jesse. He never met another creature he didn’t like. We never once saw him angry.


He seldom barked but when he did it was out of the joy of living. In the evenings, when we went out to feed the horses, he’d always go to the river bank and give a few woofs out towards the water just for fun. He enjoyed barking at trains, planes and river boats, too, letting them know they should keep moving. Many is the CN engineer, pilot or boater who heeded his advice.

His least favourite thing was the wind, and when it was blowing he made sure to be close to us.

Every once in a while, he’d get a big smile on his face and let out a long growl that wasn’t really a growl at all but a dog version of laughter. You knew he was at his happiest when he did that.

Jess, a.k.a. J-Dog, loved wading along the shore and sticking his nose in the water to blow bubbles. He also loved going for walks every day, especially in new places.

Most of all, he loved being with family.

Jess became a bit of a TV star on CFJC when we were fighting to convince RIH to continue providing chemotherapy drugs to canine patients, a campaign that proved successful. Thankfully, the exceptional care Jesse received at Riverside Small Animal Hospital gave him two and a half more years after his cancer was diagnosed and for that we will be eternally grateful. He was able to carry on with a very high quality of life, enjoying every day of that extra time as much as we did.

Just a few days ago, Jesse enjoyed a visit of several days from his little buddy Willy, and he made sure to show Willy where everything was around our acreage.

Jesse lived a good life, bringing us joy and memories to treasure. He is survived by Mom, Dad, Jacob, equine family members Tanner and Bradley, feline brother Barney and sister Orange Kitty, and his human friend Bary, and his many friends at Roving K-9 daycare.

Special thanks to Dr. Matt Nicol and the staff at Riverside for the truly wonderful care they provided our very special boy.

“The journey of life is sweeter when traveled with a dog.”

— Submitted by Mel Rothenburger, September 2018.

%d bloggers like this: