Advertisements
LATEST

HARRISON – Pride Parades shouldn’t be needed any more

TRU president Alan Shaver walks in Pride Parade.

TRU president Alan Shaver walks in Pride Parade.

ANOTHER pride parade on the campus of Thompson Rivers University, but why?

harrisonhed-sep2016Our society has reached the point where their sexual orientation no longer is frowned upon, and is accepted as part of our diversity, as the catch phrase puts it.

It’s okay to be lesbian or homosexual so why the need for annual pride parades?

By strutting around, and waving colourful flags, and shouting empty slogans, they actually set themselves apart!

Listen to Jim Harrison’s editorials weekdays on Radio NL, and to the Jim Harrison Show at 9:08 a.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Contact him at jharrison@radionl.com.

Advertisements
About Mel Rothenburger (5538 Articles)
ArmchairMayor.ca is a forum about Kamloops and the world. It has more than one million views. Mel Rothenburger is the former Editor of The Daily News in Kamloops, B.C. (retiring in 2012), and past mayor of Kamloops (1999-2005). At ArmchairMayor.ca he is the publisher, editor, news editor, city editor, reporter, webmaster, and just about anything else you can think of. He is grateful for the contributions of several local columnists. This blog doesn't require a subscription but gratefully accepts donations to help defray costs.

40 Comments on HARRISON – Pride Parades shouldn’t be needed any more

1. Concerned Community Member // October 12, 2016 at 7:34 PM // Reply

Why do we still need Jim Harrison? As a community, Kamloops has grown into a more diverse and welcoming community. Why do we still need to give a voice to an out of touch homophobe like him? I consider it a personal insult that garbage like Jim is allowed to represent a voice in our community. We have the power to stop him. I for one will now go out of my way to boycott Jim Harrison as well as Radio NL and any other businesses in Kamloops that choose to support this closed minded and ignorant bafoon.

Shame on you Jim Harrison.

2. Logan Giesbrecht // October 6, 2016 at 8:10 PM // Reply

Thank you Jim Harrison for weighing-in on something you clearly know so little about. As an openly gay man (and decent human being), I feel the need to share my thoughts and feelings on this topic. Thank you for opening up your opinion piece with the over-generalization that “those who have a different sexual orientation like to march, and show their colours.” Well guess what, I’ve never attended a pride parade or pride event in my life and neither has my fiancé. I had an extremely difficult time coming out of the closet and so did almost every gay I know. The pressure is so great that it can lead to self destructive behaviour, mental illness, and suicide which is interesting considering your views that, “[i]t’s okay to be lesbian or homosexual” and that “[homosexuality is] no longer frowned upon.” I’m sorry that “this whole business of a pride parade has become tiresome” but what oppressed community is it that you belonged to and that you kept as your deepest darkest secret for the first 20 years of your life? Now that I’m partnered, pushing 30, and comfortable in my own skin it’s easy for me to say, “It’s 2016 and if you don’t like it, it’s your problem and not mine” but looking back at that closeted scrawny 19 year old, all I remember is fear. And as for your belief that “[h]eterosexuals don’t feel the need to have a parade every year to express what they feel is right”… are you fricken kidding me? Heterosexuals’ pride parades are the other 364 days comprising a year! But tell you what, how about you and I band together and start Kamloops’ first annual parade for caucasian middle-class males and we can celebrate all our entitlement.

3. Reid Wallace // October 5, 2016 at 10:24 AM // Reply

Nothing like an old white dude with no clue what he is talking about telling others how to live their lives and stand up for themselves. Head down south where this kind of indirect bigotry is still acceptable.

4. There are those that have been embolden by current events elsewhere that allow them to think they can revert back to when most people were less educated and see who follows. As seen in the comments, that is a precarious conversation today. There is no need to wave banners and protest these obvious goofs. If there are this many people as have commented here, who will continue to teach their children and neighbours the truth, then our march forward will be all the more swift. JH and company do not deserve any more of my time.

5. Heeter Skeeter // October 4, 2016 at 11:52 AM // Reply

Pride events do not exist to separate the LGBTQ+ community from those who are heterosexual. In fact, there are straight people who march in support. This is not some exclusive party that states “no breeders allowed”. The point is that, despite the year, there is still discrimination. There are those who are still beaten up and ostracized for their orientation. Pride events don’t just let people know that there is pride in their diversity and themselves, but reminds us that the darkest part of their history was not that long ago, and that it will not just be swept aside to soothe the guilty parties’ memories. Not to mention, we’ve still got a long way to go globally. You’ve seen a lot of progress in your lifetime, I’m sure. That’s great. That doesn’t mean that all the problems are fixed now, everybody’s hunky-dory, and that there’s no reason to celebrate progress or remember adversity.

6. Previous posts have made the case that there is still a lot of work to be done to ensure that LBGT people around the world (and even in the most developed countries) have equal rights. I agree with these posts.

Furthermore, theoretically, suppose that we do reach full equality someday in the future (which is a silly assumption, but bear with me).

I believe that there would STILL be a purpose for pride parades, just like there is still a purpose for Martin Luther King Day (in the US). There isn’t a day set aside for white people earning their civil rights because they never had to earn it, just like there is no parade for straight people.

Anyway, I hope that this mistake on the part of Jim and NL can become a learning experience for them and anyone else who still doesn’t understand the inequalities that exist and the important battles being fought outside of their little bubble.

7. This article is the equivalent of saying “All Lives Matter.” An entitled straight white male has no business talking about whether we still need pride parades or not.

8. jewelscatchew // October 4, 2016 at 9:19 AM // Reply

Dear News Kamloops, Armchair Mayor, and Radio NL,
    Although I think it’s fair to respect everyone’s voice and to listen and be open to all different ideas from all different people, Jim Harrison has got to go. His rants have become more and more ridiculous and frankly rude in Nature. I’m not one to get soft, or shy away from tough issues, but I’m convinced that he’s going beyond offending people, and is most definitely having a negative impact on the readers and listeners that come across his articles. From this moment on, I will refuse to listen, subscribe, or click on NewsKamloops, Armchair Mayor, or Radio NL, until that man has been sent into full retirement. Where he can squack and flap his wings freely in his own back yard; without hurting or dividing the Kamloops Communities any further.

9. WHEN AND WHERE IS THE PUBLIC PROTEST TO THIS???? Count me in!!!

10. The comments on this article speak for itself and clearly the educated are the ones commenting, not the ignorant bigot who wrote the article. I agree with all of the replies…. good points and way more powerful and truthful then this hateful article. I am so embarrassed that not only someone in my hometown would write such a thing, but it would be published by a post secondary institution. NL banned from my life as well and I will continually tell people why. I don’t even know where to start. Not an intelligent sentence in the whole article… it’s all garbage and should be treated as such. There better be a public apology. Opinion or not, free speech or not, it is NEVER ok to publish hate! Apologies are needed not only from Jim, but from everyone who allowed this to be published. I am VERY disappointed in all of you. Shame shame shame!

11. AreUKidding? // October 4, 2016 at 8:06 AM // Reply

Q: ANOTHER pride parade on the campus of Thompson Rivers University, but why?

A: Because of clowns like you.

Q: Sure those who have a different sexual orientation like to march, and show their colours, but we have moved into 2016. Those who are part of the LBGTQ community no longer have to hide in a closet somewhere.

A: Have you been to a night club and got shot because of who you were? Nope.

Q: Our society has reached the point where their sexual orientation no longer is frowned upon, and is accepted as part of our diversity, as the catch phrase puts it.

A: Not really… I still recall people being beat up, murdered, and ostracized for who they are.

Q: It’s okay to be lesbian or homosexual so why the need for annual pride parades?

A: Again, because of clowns like you.

Q: It’s a little like religion now — practise what you will, but don’t shove it into the faces of others who are not inclined to be part of your crowd.

A: Don’t like it? Don’t watch.

Q: This whole business of a pride parade has become tiresome. The world knows you’re there. Some will continue to judge you, but most have gone beyond that now and have come to accept there are people who think and behave differently than they do.

A: Speaking of business, I wonder how much advertising business you guys will lose? I know you’ve lost mine.

Q: Heterosexuals don’t feel the need to have a parade every year to express what they feel is right, and if the LBGTQ community ever wants to be accepted as part of the mainstream, neither do they.

A: Heterosexuals do not get beat up, murdered, or shot for who they are. How would you feel if you were trying to plan your wedding, and the vendors wouldn’t get back to you? Or meet with you when they found out you were gay?

12. Radio NL and Harrison are glaring reasons why we need pride parades.

13. Caitlin Goulet // October 3, 2016 at 10:20 PM // Reply

I must respectfully disagree with this article. LGBTQ rights are a global issue. Yes, our rights have come a long way in Canada. The generations of LGBTQ and allies who came before us made sacrifices and fought for the rights that we benefit from today. We must honour and remember them. We must advocate for those who live and die without these rights. There is still so much work to do. If you care enough about this issue to write an article about it, please open your mind and learn more. Do your research. Speak and LISTEN to people from the LGBTQ community. You are better than this.

14. I can’t believe the ignorance of this “article”. Shame on Radio NL for publishing this garbage.

15. Beat Klossner // October 3, 2016 at 9:09 PM // Reply

Jim Harrison… what is wrong with you? Really..as a broadcaster one would think you would have learned the ability on all your years on air to actually consider somebody else ‘s view before making some stupid comment and dismissing it.

That anybody would keep somebody this bigot , ignorant and incompetent on the air is a mystery to me.

16. Privilege is not understanding why a segment feels marginalized. It must be easy as a white heterosexual male to think that some segment of society is just whiny, but unless you’ve experienced what not just homosexuals but bisexuals, queer and asexual people contend with in their daily reality, you are in no position to say what it’s like.. This is really no different than saying “black lives matter? All lives matter!”

17. I’m cannot understand why radio NL would allow such an offensive ill-informed article to be published? It’s people like you Mr. Harrison why pride parades need to continue.

18. Mark Rogers // October 3, 2016 at 6:55 PM // Reply

People opposed to pride parades should come out and observe one. I took part in this year’s parade at TRU to show my support, and can assure you that there was no strutting or empty slogans. For the most part it was just a bunch of nice people chatting and strolling together around campus, many of them holding signs that said Celebrate Diversity. I was happy to hold one myself because I believe diversity makes us strong, and it’s good to be reminded of that.

19. Hey Jim, I enjoy your straight man pizzazz… Does LGBTQ stand for lesbian or homosexual? I used to identify as a lesbian and homosexual, but now I realize you can only be one. This article really straightened me out! No more strutting for me!

20. Curtis Parsons // October 3, 2016 at 6:04 PM // Reply

If you don’t like it, don’t attend. But never, ever think you can stop people from expressing themselves. Pretty disappointing article.

21. Heidi Starr // October 3, 2016 at 5:55 PM // Reply

Are you kidding me?
    This is so offensive I had to triple check this wasn’t satire!!!
    Don’t flaunt it in other people’s faces?!? Heterosexuals don’t need a pride parade?!? This is the exact language that proves we absolutely still need Pride! Have you seen the barrage of hate in the comments of any mainstream article speaking to gender or sexuality? Have you forgotten Pulse nightclub in only a matter of months? Do you ignore the statistics of violence towards non hetero adults or the exponentially higher rates of suicide in non hetero youth?
    How on earth do you call yourself a real journalist and publish drivel like this. Congratulations, you owe an entire community a HUGE apology…

22. This is a retread of a column from 2004.

The pride parade is a straight pride parade. I’ve attended two of the events and saw many heterosexuals walking and showing their hetero pride.

So long as people in other countries are murdered for being gay. So long as people can be legally descriminated against south of the border, as is the case in North Carolina. And so long as people like you write columns like this James, people will march.

You remind me of the Indian guy in Last of the Mohicans (If Mohican meant “One with Queer Problem.”

You’re just part of a dying breed.

Don’t you have some refugees to pick on? Or some snivelling attack on Mr Donovan Cavers?

23. Steve Peters // October 3, 2016 at 4:58 PM // Reply

I am a gay man and i’m deeply offended by this article. I came out as gay while in high school in the mid 90’s where I had little to no support from peers, my learning institution or my community. I literally felt like I had no where to turn, and from the extensive homophobia I recieved I was left traumatized and suffered depression and addiction for over ten years. Yes society has come around a little bit, but we still have a long way to go. TRU has a large amount international students, from countries such a Nigeria where it is illegal to be gay and is punishable up to and including being put to death or imprisonment. I personally know of a few homosexual students at TRU from these countries and I can only imagine how much of a relief it would be for them to see a celebration such as a simple Pride pirade of TRU campus and have them feel like they actually belong to something and are safe and accepted and they aren’t a criminal. You should be ashamed of yourself for writing such a hateful article. I’m sorry that you are sickened by the sight of us homosexuals. But sadly for you, we aren’t going anywhere, and if we have to, we’ll continue to flaunt ourselves in said parades holding colorful signs until every last one of you old,tired, ignorant bigots have died of old age and are buried in the ground. I am boycotting radio NL from here on out. This is ridiculous.

24. Theresia Reid // October 3, 2016 at 3:39 PM // Reply

Are you out of your mind? Of course these parades are still needed. Of course straight people don’t march, we don’t need to! There have been amazing strides in the last 20 years, but my goodness there is still too far to go. Please open your eyes to the reality we live in.

25. Karl Koziura // October 3, 2016 at 2:52 PM // Reply

This is absolutely deplorable that an article of this low caliber was published. I am all for freedom of speech (which is what the pride parade is about, you Jim need to keep your trap shut. You are the reason such events need to occur, to spread education to the uneducated, such as yourself. Do us all a favour and make your next publication an apology to the people of Kamloops for offending a minority with your lack of insight; also attend a pride parade. That will own your eyes and maybe keep your mouth shut, but doubtful.

26. Adam Williams // October 3, 2016 at 2:21 PM // Reply

This is an absolutely asinine column. The fact that an attitude like this persists — and that it was published in this community — is exactly why pride parades need to continue. For shame to everyone involved.

27. Jim, are you gay? You say…”Our society has reached the point where their sexual orientation no longer is frowned upon”. you speak to it like you live it? Try walking around for a day holding a man’s hand in public and see how it feels. Maybe then you can write about it.

28. Trixy Miller // October 3, 2016 at 1:50 PM // Reply

Until people like you don’t consider humans expressing their human affection for humans of the same gender in public to be ‘shoving it in your face’ we need pride parades.
    Until people dancing in a gay nightclub (in a gay space, well out of straight people’s faces) can do so without risking being shot where they stand, we need pride.
    Until gay children can come out without fearing being disowned.
    Until gay children can come out without risking being made homeless.
    Until gay children can come out without being tortured online.
    Until gay homelessness isn’t a major issue.
    Until gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and others aren’t at higher risk of crime, particularly murder.
    Until you don’t think of gay, lesbian, bisexual, trangender, non-binary and any orientation you consider ‘other’ AS ‘other’ we need pride.
    No one invited you to show your face.

29. I like (not) the way he says “the world knows you’re there”. How many countries in the world is homosexuality still illegal? Last time I checked it was 70. SEVENTY!! That is one of the reason why we march and will continue to march until that number is 0. ZERO!!

30. Pride at its core isn’t about celebrating sexuality for the sake of itself, it’s about resisting oppression and riding above a history of abuse, torture, exploitation, violence and murder by creating awareness, acceptance of, and yes, pride in LGBTQ+ identity. THAT is what the celebration is about and why we celebrate sexuality. It’s also about dismantling normative values that segregate or would portray LGBT persons as less than human. There are so many other reasons why Pride exists, more than I can rightfully speak to or go into here as to why it happens, is needed, and is important.

The opinion expressed here is in equal measure as unoriginal as it is bigoted, ignorant, and badly informed. Jim Harrison, I dare you to go to Orlando and spout this straight, white cis-privilege garbage rhetoric to the shooting victims there.

So, what’s your real deal? You seem to be arguing that because you are not part of this community you are entitled to ask it to go away because you are tired of seeing/being asked to care about it.

Maybe you should check yourself. Consider what it means to be an ally to those people and how tiring the struggle is for those who are actually persecuted each and every day of their lives simply for their gender/sexuality/choice of a mate/partner.

Just because you don’t experience discrimination or persecution doesn’t mean it does not exist.

Maybe we can discuss this when marriage equality is not a debate. When trans violence and oppression is no longer common place. When gender identity and physical sex stop being used to prescribe who you can love and what you can do with your life. When corrective rape is not considered a legitimate technique in countries like Uganda or Jamaica. And even then, we’ll need Pride for other reasons that I haven’t been able to put to words here due tolack of experience (e.g. racial or ability struggles), and to continue to fight against ways of policing sexuality and gender that are yet to be fully made visible or understood. Pride is just the tip of the iceberg of the social injustices that it is meant to rise against. You have no right to demand that it go away, and you should be ashamed for saying so

31. gcsaundersgcsaunder@mta.ca // October 3, 2016 at 1:37 PM // Reply

Jim Harrison? Are you for real? You should be fired for this article. Very offensive.

32. I don’t think we should count on a middle-aged, straight, white man to tell us when acceptance of the LGBTQ+ community has been achieved.

Mr. Harrison is out of touch and should have spent even a couple of minutes researching the many reasons this parade and others like it are still necessary in communities around the world.

P.S. You should attend next time, you might learn a few things!

33. Honestly, if you haven’t even caught up enough to realize that there are more than lesbians and gay men (who are both classified as homosexual, btw) under the LGBTQ umbrella these days, I’m inclined to pat your head and promise I’ll put your nice article up on the fridge with your favourite alphabet magnets and never actually get around to it. That’s about how much respect you’ve earned with this editorial (I think that’s what it’s meant to be?) full of false, outdated information and blatant disregard for events in the news that render your points utterly invalid.

But, you know, nice try. Sort of.

34. Articles like this are the reason pride parades are necessary. These events are about focus where it is needed not exclusion.

If you are a lifeguard at a pool you focus on those that need help, not let them drown because you don’t want to leave the others out.

Please put away your ‘All lives matter’ sign and your ‘make america great again’ hat and use your soapbox to make the world a better place instead of this narrow minded bigotry.

35. Jaye Simpson // October 3, 2016 at 1:15 PM // Reply

As a huge advocate for LGBTQ+ rights and visibility, especially in Kamloops I am extremely disheartened by Radio NL for allowing this extremely bigoted post to be published.

Someone so uneducated on the issues, statistics and trauma that LGBTQ+ face, this is so invalidating and to be frank, garbage.

How distasteful and I’m so embarrassed for Radio NL to have allowed this to happen.

36. Dustin McIntyre // October 3, 2016 at 12:47 PM // Reply

This is genuinely terrible and bigotted. You preach acceptance but can’t accept this? What are we doing here?

37. This can only be a joke, right?

There’s no way it’s 2016 and you’re writing this bullshit under your company banner.

Unless it’s just a ‘viral’ marketing attempt to stir up any talk about your business.

Can’t wait for the next article “rape victims should just keep their legs closed. Problem solved” followed by a stirring piece about interracial marriages being bad.

Awesome job Radio NL.