ROTHENBURGER – Council should just say no to Ajax, minus ifs, ands or buts

(Image: SLR report cover)

KAMLOOPS City council has a big decision to make Monday, and it’s not as cut and dried as it seems.

True, the council will vote no on Ajax, because at least four out of the six members — Denis Walsh, Dieter Dudy, Tina Lange and Donovan Cavers — oppose the mine. Pat Wallace and Arjun Singh are question marks.

After that, it gets more complicated. It will be tempting to ask for conditions on the mine if the province and feds approve it despite council’s opposition.


About Mel Rothenburger (8485 Articles) is a forum about Kamloops and the world. It has more than one million views. Mel Rothenburger is the former Editor of The Daily News in Kamloops, B.C. (retiring in 2012), and past mayor of Kamloops (1999-2005). At he is the publisher, editor, news editor, city editor, reporter, webmaster, and just about anything else you can think of. He is grateful for the contributions of several local columnists. This blog doesn't require a subscription but gratefully accepts donations to help defray costs.

7 Comments on ROTHENBURGER – Council should just say no to Ajax, minus ifs, ands or buts

  1. Thank you for your reply, Cindy.
    The project cannot come with any “conditions”; the rejection comes because of changes that will come without the hope of remediation.
    Regardless of what dream some folks might have about the mine that close being somehow “OK”, it won’t be. It never will be “OK”. “It” will take over.
    Victoria and Ottawa are both a long way away when it comes to this mine affecting their respective population bases.
    I think I’d far sooner have you in our corner as Mayor.

  2. tony brumell // July 15, 2017 at 4:26 PM // Reply

    i agree .Just say “no” and let the chips fall where they will.
    NEVILLE CHAMBERLAIN ??? Mel really????

  3. Bill Hadgkiss // July 15, 2017 at 4:11 PM // Reply

    NO Ajax. The only answer that works as conditions allow the cat to be kicked until it’s a dead done deal.

  4. Cindy,
    If you are elected as our new Mayor in the upcoming by-election, will you support the decision that will be made by the Deputy Mayor and Council on Monday of next week?
    If the decision is “No” , how will you make your voice known to both our new Provincial government and also the Federal government even though you will not have had a vote on the decision?

    • Cindy Ross Friedman // July 15, 2017 at 9:06 PM // Reply

      Let me start by saying that if this Council votes “yes” on Monday, I will have to do some serious consideration as to whether or not I would want to still run for leadership of a group that could not make the right call for Kamloops. Yet if I had been Mayor at the time of any “yes” vote, though, I would stand and then support Council, even if I had vehemently argued against it. But I also know that neither of those scenarios will come to pass – we have a good, smart Council.

      There is a difficulty regarding how to proceed with a “no, but” clause in place should it come forward: I would defend and advocate for Council’s decision. That is what a leader does.

      I do of course hope that it is a solid “no” Monday. Then the path is clear: the Mayor would need to meet with Horgan and Weaver as well as the relevant Provincial and Federal ministers. More than once. Until the message is heard. Persistent bulldog time. I do that very well.

  5. Cindy Ross Friedman // July 15, 2017 at 8:39 AM // Reply

    Yes! Well said! Agree! All of the above! Thank you, Mr. Rothenburger!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: