Advertisements
LATEST

NEWS – Lack of venting system caused carbon monoxide exposure in fatal incident near Ashcroft

(Image: BC Safety Authority report)

NEW WESTMINSTER – The B.C. Safety Authority (BCSA) has identified that the lack of a venting system caused carbon monoxide (CO) exposure, which is believed to have taken the lives of four people near Ashcroft on March 24.

The B.C. Coroners Service said today (April 10, 2017) it is further investigating the cause of death and the BCSA is working in collaboration with the Coroner.

Melissa Penner, her children Kaylex and Ay, and her partner Harvey Volaine died in the incident. Volaine, 60, was a well-known artist in the region, whose works were exhibited in the Kamloops Art Gallery and elsewhere.

In its investigation report, BCSA states that a “water heater was installed inside the home without a vent system attached.” The water heater was a tankless, on demand type, where cold water could be heated instantly by a high output propane burner when a hot water tap was opened.

The report also notes that the hazardous levels of carbon monoxide were due to “extended operation of the water heater.”

“We are saddened by the tragedy in Ashcroft,” said Brad Wyatt, BCSA gas safety manager. “When our safety officers investigated the site, we found that the water heater was not vented to the outdoors which means toxic gases were released inside the home while the water heater burner was in use.”

Carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless gas produced by burning carbon fuels such as propane, natural gas, oil, wood, charcoal, alcohol, kerosene or gasoline. Exposure to CO interferes with the body’s ability to absorb oxygen, which can result in serious illness or death.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure can initially be flu-like, such as headaches, nausea, fatigue, confusion and dizziness. More severe CO poisoning symptoms can include chest pains, vomiting and convulsions. Children are at particular risk because they are affected by lower levels of CO. Other signs of a possible CO issue in a home are condensation on windows, dying plants, or having an entire family sick at the same time.

“For safety, it is always best to have a licensed contractor perform any gas work,” said Wyatt. “Gas-fired appliances should be serviced by a licensed gas contractor at least once a year. It’s also important to have CO detectors on each floor of a home.”

To prevent CO exposure, or related incidents, BCSA recommends the following:

  • All gas-fired appliances – including boilers, furnaces, hot water tanks, stoves, dryers and fireplaces – should be inspected and serviced by a licensed gas contractor at least once a year.
  • Ensure ALL combustion air supply and fresh air intakes into your home remain unobstructed and any screens are free of dust and debris.
  • All households should be equipped with Canadian-certified CO detectors, ideally located on each floor of the home, close to bedrooms or sleeping areas.
  • Detectors should be tested annually and replaced every seven years.
  • CO detectors should never be disabled or deactivated due to alarms.
  • Gas work must be done by licensed contractors that hold a current Class A or Class B Gas Fitter or Gas Appliance Service Certificate of Qualification from BC Safety Authority. BCSA maintains a list of contractors on its website: http://www.safetyauthority.ca/contact/find-contractor. Select “gas” under “type.”
  • When using a wood burning fireplace, crack open a window to allow fresh air flow into the home.
Advertisements
About Mel Rothenburger (5132 Articles)
ArmchairMayor.ca is a forum about Kamloops and the world. It has more than one million views. Mel Rothenburger is the former Editor of The Daily News in Kamloops, B.C. (retiring in 2012), and past mayor of Kamloops (1999-2005). At ArmchairMayor.ca he is the publisher, editor, news editor, city editor, reporter, webmaster, and just about anything else you can think of. He is grateful for the contributions of several local columnists. This blog doesn't require a subscription but gratefully accepts donations to help defray costs.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: