LATEST

NATIONAL PULSE – Most view our vaccine rollout a ‘failure’ by comparison

(Image: Hakan German, Pixabay)

By ANGUS REID INSTITUTE

February 12, 2021 – Be it prosperity, human rights, education or international aid, Canadians have been more often used to seeing their nation as a leader on the world stage.

As they watch allies such as the United States and the United Kingdom surge ahead in vaccine delivery and witness Prime Minister Justin Trudeau seek help securing doses of the COVID-19 vaccine from developing nations such as India, people in this country are experiencing the relatively unusual sensation of their country falling behind.

Amid delays and organizational frustrations, the latest public opinion study from the non-profit Angus Reid Institute finds Canadians are more inclined to see the current situation as one of failure on the part of the government rather than due to travails largely out of its hands.

Three-in-five (59%) say that Canada should be performing better than or at least as well as other nations in the amount of vaccine it has administered. The rest (41%) offer more sympathy to those in charge of procurement and are of the view that recent setbacks have been out of anyone’s control.

Few Canadians now expect Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s promise – that anyone who wants a vaccine will get one by September – will come to fruition. Indeed, they express skepticism that this is an achievable target by a margin of more than three-to-one over those who say all jabs will have been given to those willing by the time autumn begins.

More Key Findings:

  • 57 per cent of Canadians now say the government has done a poor job of securing COVID-19 doses for the population. This represents a near tripling from the number who said the same thing in early December (23%).
  • Four-in-five Canadians voice a willingness to get vaccinated (81%), with 62 per cent saying they are ready to get their shot as soon as possible and one-in-five willing to after a wait (19%). These levels are unchanged since early January.
  • Three-in-five residents in B.C., Quebec and Atlantic Canada have confidence in their provincial governments to administer doses in a timely manner when received. This confidence is lowest in Alberta (42%) and Manitoba (35%)

Link to the poll here: www.angusreid.org/

About Mel Rothenburger (8056 Articles)
ArmchairMayor.ca is a forum about Kamloops and the world. It has more than one million views. Mel Rothenburger is the former Editor of The Daily News in Kamloops, B.C. (retiring in 2012), and past mayor of Kamloops (1999-2005). At ArmchairMayor.ca he is the publisher, editor, news editor, city editor, reporter, webmaster, and just about anything else you can think of. He is grateful for the contributions of several local columnists. This blog doesn't require a subscription but gratefully accepts donations to help defray costs.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: