RCMP are reminding motorists to be extra aware as children head back to school next week.
Drivers are asked to be cautious and remember school speed zones and crosswalks, as well as loading and unloading areas for school buses and parent vehicles.
Driving tips to make the roads safer as school goes back into session:
- Be patient and give yourself plenty of time around schools and playgrounds
- When backing out of a driveway or leaving a garage, look for children walking or biking to school
- Slow down and scan your surroundings
- Remove all distractions including talking on your cell phone or texting
- Remember, speed zones near playgrounds are in effect from dawn until dusk, not from 8 am to 5 pm as in the case of school zones
Kamloops RCMP urges parents to teach their children safe habits for walking or cycling to school – especially since bicycles are expected to follow the rules of the road.
If not on a sidewalk, children should walk facing traffic and be especially cautious of vehicles when crossing the street at crosswalks.
Officers will be patrolling school zones as classes for the school year begin.