Kamloops RCMP are warning vehicle owners that thieves have been stealing wheels from pickups recently.
Since the beginning of December there have been eight theft of tires from vehicles. In four of these thefts, all of the tires were taken and the trucks were left on blocks. Mainly Ford pick-ups have been targeted, although one GMC truck also had its’ tires stolen. The thefts have occurred in various neighbourhoods of Kamloops.
Police offer these tips for protecting your vehicle’s tires:
- Always park in a garage if you have one.
- Install a car alarm that includes sensors that attach to the wheels.
- Park in an area with a lot of traffic and lighting to deter thieves.
- Turn your wheels when parking. This makes the wheels harder to remove because they get stuck in the wheel well.
- Use wheel locks on each wheel. The locks fit on each wheel and make the lug nuts extremely difficult to remove without a key.
“Thieves will strike where there’s opportunity,” states Cpl. Jodi Shelkie. “Follow these preventive measures and don’t make it easy for them to remove the tires from your vehicle.”