Two heritage homes get plaques
COMMUNITY — Two Kamloops heritage homes have been honoured with plaques in recognition of their heritage value to the community.
A home at 190 West Seymour St. owned by Rita Winkler and Ralph Adams is receiving a Centenary plaque, and 822 Nicola St. owned by Harry Redden and Heather Hutchings receives a Heritage Recognition plaque.
The plaques were presented by the Heritage Commission as part of Heritage Week.
The West Seymour house was built in 1912 by James Bannerman, a dominion land agent in Kamloops from 1901 to 1924 and an avid gardener. When he died in 1927, his daughter Edith inerited the house and lived there with her husband, John E. Fitzwater until she died in 1962.
She was a founding member of the Kamloops Red Cross and the Kamloops Council of Women as well as a gardener.
Her husband was the mayor of Kamloops from 1952 to 1961 and was conferred awarded Freedom of the City in 1962. He continued to live in the house until he died in 1970.
The original exterior features of the Craftsman style house included locally made wood-frame blown-glass windows, siding and brick foundation. The interior includes original fir floors, doors, moldings and trim, staircase with banister and brick fireplace. A lilac tree and rose bush in the garden are said to have been planted by Edith.
The Nicola Street home receives the Heritage plaque for restoration of a rundown house to one that is in excellent condition, with restored exterior walls, veranda, windows and door.
Leave a Reply