Flash-flood victims going home
NEWS/ FLOOD — Evacuation orders for all Westsyde residents hit by Tuesday’s flash flood will be rescinded at 6 p.m. today, Wednesday. A declaration of local state of emergency has also been lifted.
The evacuation order was partially rescinded for some streets earlier in the afternoon.
Cleanup continued throughout the night after the late-afternoon flood, which raged down the hillside above Parkview Drive, across Westsyde Road and into the Oak Hills mobile-home subdivision. Major debris was cleared off Westsyde Road by 1 a.m. and all lanes were re-opened to traffic.
Reece Vermey, a flagman, said today dust was a problem from the mud deposited in the storm. Canada Day transit riders waiting for a bus had to shield themselves from the dust as motorists sped past, disobeying traffic signs. Vermey said one driver was doing 100 km/h when he passed him on Wednesday morning.
As many residents coped with debris and erosion caused by the flash flood that was brought on by the mighty thunder storm, the good news is that the provincial government has announced that Disaster Financial Assistance will be available for those who qualify. Affected residents are advised to visit http://www.embc.gov.bc.ca for more information.
The City of Kamloops Emergency Operations Centre issued the partial rescind order for residents of Irving Place, Parkview Drive, Rhonmore Crescent, Oak Hills Boulevard and the 2400 block of Westsyde Road. The order was still in effect for residents of the Oakdale Mobile Home Park until early evening.
Residents returning to their homes are being reminded to look for notices on their front doors from FortisBC and B.C. Hydro regarding reconnection of services, and that Fortis inspections won’t be completed until Friday.
Once Fortis has approved gas service reconnection, residents must then contact a gas contractor to reignite appliances.
The City’s Emergency Social Services Reception Centre at the Kamloops Yacht Club at 1140 River Street closed at 4 p.m. The EOC’s information line also shut down at 4 but residents can call 250-828-3461.
The City has authorized Westsyde residents to drop off natural debris such as mud, rocks and branches at no charge at the Mission Flats Landfill until July 13, with proof of identification and address.


Leave a comment