Help on way for Cache Creek residents
NEWS/ WEATHER — As an evacuation order was expanded today (Monday), eligible Cache Creek residents received some good news — they’ll get disaster financial assistance for damages caused by flash floods.
The Thompson-Nicola Regional district announced that home owners, residential tenants, small business owners farmers and charitable organizations who are unable to get insurance to cover their losses are eligible.
The disaster relief will cover residents of Areas E, I, M and N in the TNRD, as well as Cache Creek, Merritt, Logan Lake and Lytton.
Representatives from various agencies met with residents this afternoon to answer questions, explaining the process for applying for disaster assistance.
Mayor John Ranta said earlier in the day that initial assessments confirm water and sewer infrastructure weren’t damaged by Saturday’s flash floods, but the storm sewer system was still being assessed.
An evacuation order issued Sunday was expanded today to cover three more properties, while others remain under evacuation orders or alerts.
A reception centre has been set up in the Cache Creek Community Hall.
A severe thunderstorm watch was lifted from the South Thompson, Nicola and Okanagan regions early this evening. Environment Canada said there’s still a possibility of a thunderstorm in Kamloops.

Leave a comment