New input period on Ajax okayed
NEWS/ AJAX — The new public-comment period on the Ajax environment assessment application that seemed a faint hope suddenly has become reality.
The B.C. Environmental Assessment Office announced today there will be a new opportunity for the public to have a say about changes to the proposed mine’s footprint.
“The Environmental Assessment Office and the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency will invite the public to obtain information about and comment on proposed changes to the Application Information Requirements/ Environmental Impact Statement guidelines that result from the changes to the design of the mine,” the EA office stated.
The AIR, as it’s known, sets out the information and reports KGHM must provide in its application for an environmental permit, expected to be submitted by the end of March next year.
EA official Scott Bailey had said in a letter to Kamloops City council a decision on whether to grant a second public-input period would be made after information from a working group of stakeholders had been assessed. Many took that to be a rejection of council’s request for a new input session, but the EA Office never gave a flat no.
Today, it said a 30-day comment period on changes to the AIR will kick in as of late November.
“There will be public information sessions in Kamloops during the public comment period. The Environmental Assessment Office will also hold a public session on the environmental assessment process, during the public comment period.”
The venue and dates will be announced later.
“It was a pleasant surprise and everybody in Kamloops should be pleased,” Kamloops Area Preservation Association spokesman John Schleiermacher said Tuesday evening.
He said KAPA will be asking questions around why the mine footprint has been altered and whether it has to do with new ore finds. The Mount Polley tailings pond disaster will also provide the basis for questions about changes in the Ajax plan.
“This tailings pond will be much larger than what was at Mount Polley,” he said. “Any breach would be a significant impact on our community.”
Coun. Donovan Cavers, who brought the resolution to council asking for the new public-input period, was “obviously pleased” at the EAO’s decision. “I’m definitely happy they’ve reconsidered.”
He said the 30 days will be “a tight timeline” but it gives council and others a chance to raise more questions about the site plan.

Leave a comment